Simple, Easy Vegan Gravy
lovely on mashed potatoes, loco moco, poutine, stuffing…
Servings: 4 humans
- blender (optional)
- ⅓ cup flour
- ⅓ cup chopped mushrooms
- ⅓ cup chopped onion (or half medium sized onion)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil for sautéing vegetables
- ⅓ cup oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder (or 3 cloves chopped garlic)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce (liquid aminos reduce to 1 1/2 tbsp)
- 1 ½ to 2 cups almond or soy milk
- Heat flour in a dry medium (~3 qt.) saucepan over medium heat until toasty smell. Whisking flour, careful not to burn. Bits should become light brown in some areas. Remove toasted flour from pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Into saucepan add 2 tbsp oil, mushrooms, onions, salt. Sauté until aromatic and onions become slightly translucent. Turn off heat.
- Add 1/3 cup oil, toasted flour, garlic power (or chopped garlic), black pepper, soy sauce. Whisk, whisk, whisk over medium heat. Add almond/soy milk. Keep whisking. Gravy is done when liquids become thicker or desired consistency is achieved. Salt & pepper to taste
- For gravy without lumps, process in blender or with blender stick until completely smooth and silky.